As the Greenville Health System (GHS) transforms healthcare, we have an increasing need to develop leaders to serve in all leadership capacities, both formal and informal. Emerging Leaders is an opportunity for high-performing GHS frontline staff, supervisors, and managers to develop and expand their leadership skills. Emerging Leaders creates the opportunity for individual self-awareness, increases knowledge of GHS strategy and commitment to the community, and highlights the impact of the patient experience.
- Foster continuous learning and professional development
- Support GHS high performers with interest in advancing to or in management roles
GHS Core Professional and Leadership Competencies
GHS identified a list of competencies critical for successful leadership. Emerging Leaders addresses the following competencies:
Emerging Leaders Tracks
- Employee Track – High-performing staff members participate in development experiences preparing them for potential promotion to GHS management roles and to roles as formal leaders.
- Management Track – High-performing management staff members receive development experiences preparing them for potential career advancement to management levels of increased responsibility and to solidify their roles as informal leaders within their work areas.
- 12 month program
- Approximately 40 in-class hours
- Additional time commitment outside class:
- 30-40 hours Management Track
- 10-15 hours Employee Track
An expressed interest in leadership
- At least one year as a full-time employee with GHS prior to start of Emerging Leaders application process
- Recommendation of immediate supervisor
- Documented history of high performance and excellent performance evaluations
- Employee Track – Bachelor’s degree or completion prior to start of Emerging Leaders sessions
- Management Track – Master’s degree or completion prior to start of Emerging Leaders sessions
- Individuals with disciplinary actions in the past 12 months are ineligible
- Individuals currently on performance improvement plans are ineligible
Acceptance into Emerging Leaders is held through an application process. Announcements for upcoming dates of the application process will appear in the WHAG, in the View, and on Plexus. Individuals interested in being considered for Emerging Leaders should watch these tools for the next scheduled date of Emerging Leaders.
Comments from prior participants
- It really helped me to look closely at my leadership skills, strengths and opportunities – how to improve opportunities and reinforce strengths.
- Grow in the hard times. Stay transparent. Remain teachable
- Growth often times comes out of discomfort. There were a handful of EL activities that pushed me outside my comfort–each of those uncomfortable activities were the most memorable and growth stimulating activities of the program.
- As with all Emerging Leaders, we have a desire to be more and do more. This program gave me opportunities to meet people I may have otherwise never known as well as exposure to higher-level occurrences.